May 21, 2010

Day 4 of Mad River Guide School

Today was day 4 out on the river. We continued working on getting in and out of eddy's with relying on the river as much as possible. I started in a stern oar mount with paddlers. Its good practice because you can't just focus on what your doing but on your other paddlers also.

The instructors would launch off the boat and pretend they did not what to do and we had to get them and get them in the boat. Great practice for real life situations.

I have learned a ton from this course. We would have class time and read chapters at night, then would go out in the day on the river and practice.

I also got the chance to row a center frame. Although a little different it's the same idea. I have a better understanding of the river, currents, and other river features. I feel confident I could take people down and have fun and most of all be safe especially after this class.

-Guide Schooler